Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Importance of Music

Those of you who know me, know that I love music.

- Rock

- Classical

- Orchestrated Soundtracks

- Musicals

- Video Game OSTs

- Funk

- Folk / Folk Pop

Those are just some of the genres in my collection. I could go on and on, I love music. I have been singing from a young age and have been seen in numerous stage musical productions ranging from "The Music Man" to "The Fanstasticks" (yes, that's how it's spelled). So it should come to no surprise that I listen to music while writing, a lot of music.

Music speaks to us on a level that no other genre can. It speaks directly to the heart and can hold a conversation with us regardless of our native language. Music is the language of the soul.

But, you're not here to talk or read about my thoughts on the soul. You want to read about my writing. So let me attempt to tie my thoughts together. I find that, for me, when trying to create a piece that I'm struggling to get the tone down on, finding the right song can help me get the right words down on the paper. I'm not alone in this either. Brandon Sanderson, while finishing up Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" listened to this song from Final Fantasy X while trying to nail the feeling for the final chapters.

While working on "The Devil from the River", I have drawn a lot of inspiration from some of my favorite Spaghetti and Space Westerns. I have listened to their music on YouTube while taking notes on my characters and world building. I have amassed a good number of songs that I have put into a playlist and have that playlist on repeat while writing my drafts. However, one of those songs has become more than just a mood setter for me. It has become the theme song of the Unforgiven Sins series.

As I listened to the song in a playlist, I realized that the song was far more than just a mood setter for a scene or a chapter. It was, in a short 4 minutes, capturing the feeling I was targeting for the entire series.

I was flabbergasted. I have found songs that had come close to the theme of my book before, but nothing that ever really matched it perfectly, like a child's wooden block fitting into the proper hole.

And now I want to share that song with you.



"Soul of a Man", covered by Steven Stern, is a haunting melody of a man struggling to find meaning in a dark, unforgiving world. Give it a listen and share your thoughts. I hope you enjoy.




No comments: